Daily Painters of Texas

Deep in the Heart of Texas can be found a unique blend of Artists. Follow the best of Texas Art here on the Daily Painters of Texas.

Artist membership applications are encouraged, especially from unrepresented regions of Texas. Applicants must paint daily, blog frequently, and reside in the Great State of Texas. To apply email: INFO on Artists Of Texas and include a link to your art blog or web site for jury panel review.

Monday, May 2, 2011

Remember This - Acrylic Painting to remember Oklahoma City Bombing and 9-11


I painted this after 9-11 but the seed for it was planted after the Oklahoma City bombing.

The Oklahoma City bombing impacted my family as it did many in Oklahoma. The blast shook my house 30 miles away. The horror of the act, the loss of innocence, the realization of our vulnerability even in the heart of Oklahoma became part of my psyche.

During the months afterward I thought often of a photo that I had taken of the son of an Oklahoma firefighter.

Finally, the terror of the Sept 11 events moved me to paint “Remember This” using the photo as reference. As I painted, thoughts of innocent children, the horror of terrorism, feelings of patriotism and pride in being an American all swirled around me. I merely stood in front of my easel as the painting painted itself.

Today, I wanted to share "Remember This" once again. One face of evil is dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin