Daily Painters of Texas

Deep in the Heart of Texas can be found a unique blend of Artists. Follow the best of Texas Art here on the Daily Painters of Texas.

Artist membership applications are encouraged, especially from unrepresented regions of Texas. Applicants must paint daily, blog frequently, and reside in the Great State of Texas. To apply email: INFO on Artists Of Texas and include a link to your art blog or web site for jury panel review.

Friday, September 11, 2015

Contemporary Still Life Painting by Kay Wyne - Untitled



Untitled
40" x 30" Oil on Heavy Duty Gallery Wrap Canvas
Contemporary Abstract Floral Still Life

This is Day #11 in the 30/30 Paint Challenge.  This painting has been on my easel for a couple of weeks, and I can now say that it is completed - I think.  I will look at it and probably have my art friends critique it.  I need to put a name on it...so if you have any suggestions, feel free to email me your suggestions!  

As I was painting, I took some picture along the way...it is always good to go back and look at the stages of the painting.  Here you can see I took magenta and indian yellow and scrubbed in color, covering all of the canvas.  Nothing like going bold on the color!

At this point, I did not know what I was going to do.  I have a habit of immediately starting a new canvas with paint left over from my last painting.  
I have been on a floral still life kick, and looked at this canvas thinking it would be a very strong composition if I filled the 40" x 30" canvas with a mixed bouquet of flowers.  We had a nice arrangement in the studio, so that was my starting point.  Here I loosely placed the arrangement on the canvas-drawing with a large filbert and paint.
I wasn't sure what I was doing with the vase at this point, and did some painting upside down.  It is always good to look at the painting backwards on the computer or upside down.  I was happy with the placement of the subject matter, so I continued to work on the flowers.  I tried to keep my oils clean.  I wanted the colors to be fresh and vibrant.
I started adding greenery and more layers of paint.  The reflection in the water has breaks in the color.  I  did pull out a small filbert to put in some finishing touches.  I wanted the flowers to overlap and have variety in shapes and sizes. I also wanted my darks very dark and my lights very light for contrast.  I did not use any medium on this painting...the paint is very thick and textured.    
So after debating on adding a piece of fabric on to the background, I decide that would be too much.  So I painted in three small leaves implying that they fell off the arrangement, signed it and now it is drying in the studio.  This painting has a contemporary feel to it, especially with a very thick (2 1/2") deep stretcher bar/canvas.  I painted all the sides, so framing is optional.  It is ready to hang!  Thanks for looking at this blog.  Contact Kay with any comments or questions.  Kay


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin