Daily Painters of Texas

Deep in the Heart of Texas can be found a unique blend of Artists. Follow the best of Texas Art here on the Daily Painters of Texas.

Artist membership applications are encouraged, especially from unrepresented regions of Texas. Applicants must paint daily, blog frequently, and reside in the Great State of Texas. To apply email: INFO on Artists Of Texas and include a link to your art blog or web site for jury panel review.

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Cowgirl by Kay Wyne


  
Cowgirl
20" x 20" Oil on Gallery Wrap Canvas
Contemporary Cow from the Ft. Worth Stock Show
I just finished this painting yesterday in the studio.  John and I had gone over to the Ft. Worth Stock Show a few weeks ago, and I was taking a few pics when we were walking through the barns with long-time friend Scott Schwerer, from Blandinsville, Illinois.  He is a cattle guy....and we learned alot, saw alot and had fun that day.  I don't know what this cow's name really is, but John Wyne appropriately named her Cowgirl.  That works for me.  
Here are a few photos of Day #1:  when I drew the cow out on the canvas and started doing my rough sketching.  I started with a 20" x 20" canvas, and painted a base color of a Titan Buff so that I was not working on a stark white canvas.  Some artists draw with charcoal or pencil, but I skip that part and go straight for my brush and oils.  I don't have enough patience to go through a detailed drawing...all I want to do is paint my subject matter.  
Here I was putting in my darks, using dark violets and transparent reds and browns.  I also decided to put in the background color of an icey blue/grey, which is opaque and will make my subject matter pop on the canvas.  It will just be background, so I used a two inch flat brush and laid it in, not spending much time on it.
On Day #2: I was adding more layers of paint and putting in the darks again.  The eyes are not set in, just scrubbed in.  I have thick brush strokes of paint to indicate the beautiful fluffy coat.  The cattle at the Ft. Worth Stock show were well groomed and very handsome and I wanted the coat to look clean and fluffy.  I did not want any muddy colors on tthe canvas....
Yesterday, Day #3:  I was spending more time on the snout and eyes of this cow...and putting some mid-tones in since I usually loose them along the way.  As you can see, I had a reference photo and used it for the basics, but used my artistic license to make Cowgirl my own.  I darkened the nostrils up and put some whiskers and eye lashes on Cowgirl, and signed the painting!  Cowgirl is looking for a new home once she dries...contact Kay with any comments or questions on this painting.  
Thanks for looking at this blog.....Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin